Is your dog the right weight?
Ask your Local Trophy Nutritional Adviser for help. Free Pet Weighing services are available in all areas covered by our Trophy Nutritional Advisers.
Around 40% of all dogs in the U.K. are now overweight or obese! The PFMA Size-O -Meter guide is an excellent starting point. Use this as a guide to see what your dog should look like. Then:
- Reduce food intake.
- Choose a calorie reduced dog food - see recommendations below.
- Develop and stick to an increased exercise routine.
- It is better to feed two or three small meals per day, rather than one large meal per day.
- Stick to the feeding amounts recommended and do not overfeed. Feed a fixed amount each day.
- Monitor your dog’s weight – get your local Trophy Adviser to weigh your dog each month – this service is free.
- Keep referring to the PFMA Size–O-Meter. You should be able to easily feel but not see the ribs.
- Do not feed treats or titbits, no matter how hard this may be!
- Never feed human food.
- Keep a food diary, so the whole family can see what the dog has eaten so far on any one day.
- Weight loss in a dog is a slow and steady process and can take up to 6 months to see a significant difference.
- Remember calories need to be reduced and exercise needs to be increased.